Saturday, April 11, 2009

Knitting in childrens' stories, part 1

We're big into books around here. My kidsters love to go to the library. Which is great for me since we can borrow the books for a while and the ones that they fall in love with get put on the wish list for some holiday, birthday, or otherwise special event in the future (and we don't end up buying books that they aren't too fond of after the first or second reading).

I've come across a few in the last few months that have some knitting in them, in some way or another, and I thought it would be fun to post them here. This is our most recent find, which I myself am totally in love with and am putting on my wish list!
By Keith Faulkner, it's a cute story about how Spider knits for her friend Bee. The things she comes up with are a hoot (with so many legs she is a fast knitter, I'm jealous!) and the colors are so vivid. And the knitting is textured on the pages. It's really amazing. And as a plus for parents, it is a pretty short story without seeming short since there is so much to look at. We've had this book since Thursday and have read it every day both at nap time and bedtime, and it doesn't look like it is going to be getting any breaks anytime soon!

8 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Wonderful! I assume you know about Mrs. McDockerty's Knitting, which still makes me laugh.

I'll have to check this out.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how cute is that? Wonder if my library has it?

Ceci said...

Love it! Thanks for the rec. :)

Heather at Mad Rose Creations said...

Hey what a great idea about the books. This one looks really cute. Now I'm thinking about knitting bee sweaters. Do you think they'll hold still long enough for me to put one on them?

Amybel said...

I am searching my library for Mrs. Dockerty's Knitting and will try to reserve it!

Oh, and kidster #1 wants a bee sweater, to match his bee mittens he already has: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/amybel/buggy-mitts!
Oh boy. I wish I could knit as fast as Spider.

Alexandra said...

That sounds like a great book! Of course now I'm thinking how wonderful it would be to knit so fast too!

Kylie said...

Looks like a good book - will have to keep my eye out for it.

We currently have out from the library
Martha Moth Makes Socks Written by Cambria Evans

http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Makes-Socks-Cambria-Evans/dp/0618557458

It is a delightful book about her birthday party and doing what moths do best (eat wool)

VictoriaG said...

Awww! I'm going to have to get this one...too cute!